Keeping Kosher in Ireland
Keeping kosher in Ireland is not impossible, but will require a small amount of reorienting along the way. Europe in general differs from the USA and Israel in that most products do not carry a hechsher (kosher symbol) on the packaging, and you need to use a kosher list instead. The most useful and updated one is . As many products sold in Ireland are sourced from the UK this is very helpful .
Sources of Kosher lists include:
• Irish Jewish Travel Guide (available from the Office of the Chief Rabbi of Ireland)
• The Really Kosher Food Guide (online at www.kosher.org.uk/ or from the Office of the Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom)
• Star-K website : www.star-k.org - good for additional kashrut information about what needs a hechsher & what doesn’t.
• Is It Kosher – by far the best website for identifying kosher products in the British Isles : www.isitkosher.uk
The only kosher food shop in (the Republic of) Ireland is a kosher section in Super Valu, 13 Braemor Road, Churchtown, Dublin 14. They stock dry goods, chilled and frozen (including Hermolis sealed frozen meals) and are open seven days a week until 10:30pm.
The Bretzel Bakery, 1a Lennox Street in Portobello, Dublin 8 also make bread onsite under supervision. Only the bread is currently approved as kosher. Check list in store for kosher items.
When travelling outside of Dublin, it is possible to find kosher foods at the following chain supermarkets:
• Dunnes carry the Great Food range of kosher vegan falafel and patties. They also carry Burren Smokehouse smoked fish. Many items, such as cereals, are under British supervision. Check individual items using isitkosher.uk
• Nourish or other health food shops often carry the Vbites/Tivall range of kosher soy meat substitute and various soy cheeses. Many also carry vegan ice-cream with a kosher symbol.
• Tesco/Super Valu and other supermarkets carry a wide range of kosher products under British supervision, as well as Irish Pride breads. Check individual items using isitkosher.uk
• Aldi and Lidl sell the Great Food vegan range of food
Currently, there are no kosher restaurants in Ireland. However, it doesn’t mean you have to go hungry.
There is only one kosher supervised caterer in Ireland, Melanie Stein, who can be contacted preferably by phone on +353 86 608 2774 or by email email@example.com. Melanie can usually deliver to hotels or arrange catered meals for large groups in the DHC shul hall. (Please specify if you are looking for mehadrin meals / chalav yisrael / pat yisrael / glatt etc)
NOTE TO TOUR / CONFERENCE ORGANISERS
Please confirm with your clients before ordering from local caterers, as many will only want food supervised and certified as kosher. Currently only Melanie Stein is under kosher certification.
Alternatively, you can order airplane style meals that are microwaveable, shipped express overnight from UK/EU to your hotel. Please make all appropriate arrangements with the manager of your hotel for storage and heating.
Kosher4U (based in Brussels) : www.kosher4u.eu (search for Hoffy's Meals, Hermolis meals, Stogel meals)
Hermolis (Based in the UK) : www.hermolis.com